April 1, 2013 9:20:44 AM
"Our great fortune ..."
This spring's offerings by the Music Department at Mississippi University for Women remind us again of our great fortune in having the school in our city.
To celebrate the opening of Poindexter Hall, the department and its enthusiastic chairman, Julia Mortyakova, have offered four concerts in recent weeks. Eight more are set in April.
The concerts give everyone the chance to hear immortal music. Just as compelling, most of the faculty and guest artist also hold a class for the appropriate music majors. These fascinating detail sessions are free to the public, as are the concerts. The critiques focus not only on technical matters, but also on concert dress, good breathing, and assessing the acoustics of a concert hall.
You can check on upcoming events at www.mue.edu/music.
1. Ask Rufus: The Black Prairie of 1835 LOCAL COLUMNS
2. Roses and thorns: 2/19/17 ROSES & THORNS
3. Steve Chapman: Trump's strange coziness with the Kremlin NATIONAL COLUMNS
4. Partial to Home: Icebergs as big as houses LOCAL COLUMNS
5. Patrick J. Buchanan: The deep state targets Trump NATIONAL COLUMNS