April 10, 2013 9:35:22 AM
Dismayed by condition of old neighborhood
I went to Columbus this past weekend to attend the Pilgrimage. While I thoroughly enjoyed being back in Columbus after 16 years and seeing all the things I so fondly remembered, I was shocked at the state of disrepair my old neighborhood (Hunington Place off Ridge Road).
I understand hard economic times limit what one can and can't do in the area of remodeling ones home. But, there's no excuse other than a state of extreme indifference, to explain the state of disrepair in what used to be a lovely little neighborhood.
It's a small thing, but if one is not motivated enough to look after the basic upkeep of their home, the city is doomed.
I sincerely hope that is not the case. I once looked at Columbus as a place I would like to return to one day to live. No longer.
I realize I am but an outsider, but I really think the time is long past to take care of your own business Columbus residents.
1. Our view: Less-intrusive when it suits them DISPATCH EDITORIALS
2. Our view: City's policies are an insult to the people DISPATCH EDITORIALS
3. Susan Estrich: So much for the new Russia NATIONAL COLUMNS
4. Froma Harrop: Who belongs downtown? NATIONAL COLUMNS
5. Lynn Spruill: Maggie's journey LOCAL COLUMNS