August 12, 2009 11:45:00 AM
The fear-mongering tactics employed by certain opponents of the proposed amendments to the alcohol ordinance are baseless and offensive. Starkville presently enjoys alcohol sales six days of the week. The idea that public health, safety, and welfare are endangered by an increase in the ability to purchase and responsibly consume alcohol on an additional day is completely unsubstantiated.
Assertions of acts of violence against women and police officers is unfounded and without historical reference. By any metric Starkville is a safe community, a point which should be promoted with pride. We are past the day when it can be considered appropriate to threaten the safety of women for political gain.
1. Our View: 'Best Chance U' DISPATCH EDITORIALS
2. Connie Schultz: Tolerating those with whom we disagree NATIONAL COLUMNS
3. Editorial cartoons for 7-20-17 NATIONAL COLUMNS
4. Our View: New Caledonia board has unique opportunity DISPATCH EDITORIALS
5. Steve Chapman: Curbing traffic stops would save lives NATIONAL COLUMNS