August 12, 2009 11:45:00 AM
The fear-mongering tactics employed by certain opponents of the proposed amendments to the alcohol ordinance are baseless and offensive. Starkville presently enjoys alcohol sales six days of the week. The idea that public health, safety, and welfare are endangered by an increase in the ability to purchase and responsibly consume alcohol on an additional day is completely unsubstantiated.
Assertions of acts of violence against women and police officers is unfounded and without historical reference. By any metric Starkville is a safe community, a point which should be promoted with pride. We are past the day when it can be considered appropriate to threaten the safety of women for political gain.
1. Leonard Pitts: Rudy Giuliani, once heroic, now simply foolish NATIONAL COLUMNS
2. Dana Milbank: Jeb Bush, CPAC pinata NATIONAL COLUMNS
3. Lynn Spruill: Social responsibility LOCAL COLUMNS
4. Partick Buchanan: GOP platform: war without end NATIONAL COLUMNS
5. Our View: Utility workers deserve a thank you DISPATCH EDITORIALS