August 12, 2009 11:45:00 AM
The fear-mongering tactics employed by certain opponents of the proposed amendments to the alcohol ordinance are baseless and offensive. Starkville presently enjoys alcohol sales six days of the week. The idea that public health, safety, and welfare are endangered by an increase in the ability to purchase and responsibly consume alcohol on an additional day is completely unsubstantiated.
Assertions of acts of violence against women and police officers is unfounded and without historical reference. By any metric Starkville is a safe community, a point which should be promoted with pride. We are past the day when it can be considered appropriate to threaten the safety of women for political gain.
1. Leonard Pitts: The education gap between left and right NATIONAL COLUMNS
2. Froma Harrop: Hitting our heads against a border wall NATIONAL COLUMNS
3. Possumhaw: Observations of a crappie fisherman LOCAL COLUMNS
4. Patrick Buchanan: Is a Trump-Putin detente dead? NATIONAL COLUMNS
5. Editorial Cartoon for 2-20-17 NATIONAL COLUMNS