September 18, 2013 10:00:19 AM
Today I stopped at a four-way intersection equipped with four stop signs. I was the only one at the intersection; however, an SUV was coming toward me in the opposite direction. It was about 40 feet from the intersection. Needing to make a left turn, I flipped my signal switch to indicate my desired direction and pulled forward.
There I was in the middle of the intersection about to make the turn when the SUV pulled away from its stop directly into my path. I applied the brakes and looked at the driver as she drove past me with that modern apparatus known as a cell phone applied to her right cheek. She never looked my way to see that "Have you lost your mind?!" look I was giving her.
I don't know who she was and I am not attempting a personal attack here. But people need to realize the level of distraction that using a cell phone while driving creates.
When I parked just down the road I got out to find that my signal lights were in working order. After my stop I made it home without further incident. I hope this lady makes it home, too. And tonight I hope she has sweet dreams with no visions of cell phones and hospital beds dancing in her head.
1. Ask Rufus: Earthquakes, volcanoes and fossils LOCAL COLUMNS
2. Slimantics: Self-incrimination through social media NATIONAL COLUMNS
3. Roses and thorns: 5/1/16 ROSES & THORNS
4. Kathleen Parker: Trump deals Clinton a winning card NATIONAL COLUMNS
5. Jamie Stiehm: The way of the world, Hamilton, Jackson and Tubman NATIONAL COLUMNS