October 15, 2013 9:58:47 AM
Republicans, who fervently insist on American exceptionalism, are about to knock out the primary supporting structure of this exceptionalism, the peaceful transfer of power after an election. Instead of resorting to arms or riots, as the losers in a banana republic might, Republicans instead hold the good faith and credit of the US hostage to gain what they could not at the polls. They stoop to extortion in the self-righteous belief that their political ire trumps the sacred political process. Thus are made banana republics and our Republicans threaten to turn America in to one. Exceptionalism may exist, but not in the current Republican party.
1. Voice of the people: Robert Gillis LETTERS TO THE EDITOR (VOICE@CDISPATCH.COM)
2. Voice of the people: Milton Spotts LETTERS TO THE EDITOR (VOICE@CDISPATCH.COM)
3. Home Base: Dinner table debate, a family tradition LOCAL COLUMNS
4. Our View: A treasure at our doorstep DISPATCH EDITORIALS
5. Editorial Cartoon for 7-25-16 NATIONAL COLUMNS