March 24, 2014 10:33:10 AM
'Beautiful, inside and out'
It was bittersweet to read Betty Billups' obituary in Sunday's paper. She was a dear person who made a huge impact on our community in her few years in Columbus.
She was a very private person and also quite humble, but I feel that I must reveal something that was not mentioned in her write-up.
A few years ago I was visiting her in Texas and the subject of funeral announcements came-up. I asked her what she wanted to be included in her obituary and she said: "That I was chosen by Cecil B. DeMille (Hollywood movie director, The Ten Commandments) as the most beautiful at Tyler High School."
She told me that the students voted on the top five and the school sent their photos to Mr. DeMille and he chose Betty as the Most Beautiful.
She remained beautiful, inside and out, to her last day.
1. Ask Rufus: Horned serpents, a portal and a witch LOCAL COLUMNS
2. Patrick J. Buchanan: An establishment in panic NATIONAL COLUMNS
3. Partial to Home: Bob Nolan's Trumpian encounter LOCAL COLUMNS
4. Roses and thorns 10/23/16 ROSES & THORNS
5. Local Voices: Life as a minority LOCAL COLUMNS