March 24, 2014 10:33:10 AM
'Beautiful, inside and out'
It was bittersweet to read Betty Billups' obituary in Sunday's paper. She was a dear person who made a huge impact on our community in her few years in Columbus.
She was a very private person and also quite humble, but I feel that I must reveal something that was not mentioned in her write-up.
A few years ago I was visiting her in Texas and the subject of funeral announcements came-up. I asked her what she wanted to be included in her obituary and she said: "That I was chosen by Cecil B. DeMille (Hollywood movie director, The Ten Commandments) as the most beautiful at Tyler High School."
She told me that the students voted on the top five and the school sent their photos to Mr. DeMille and he chose Betty as the Most Beautiful.
She remained beautiful, inside and out, to her last day.
1. Birney Imes: Sonny Strickland's labor of love LOCAL COLUMNS
2. Roses and thorns: 7/5/15 ROSES & THORNS
3. Voice of the people: Pastors call for change of state flag LETTERS TO THE EDITOR (VOICE@CDISPATCH.COM)
4. Top sheriff's career began, ended with motorcycles LOCAL COLUMNS
5. Kayaking the Buttahatchee LOCAL COLUMNS