June 14, 2014 6:01:58 PM
Meeting doesn't make sense
Re: Monday's special called city council meeting. The only topic on the agenda is the new citizen input policy. What is the urgency implementing the policy? The council has lived with the current method for years and one more regular meeting cycle would not make a difference. They obviously do not want citizens to get on the agenda for 6/17/2014 and make comments on this policy. Where is the openness of the conduct of the public's business in this?
Special meetings should be for the purpose of urgent need, fact finding, long-term policy planning or education. To think a special meeting that will take longer to open than conduct business does not make sense.
1. Lynn Spruill: A city Halloween policy? LOCAL COLUMNS
2. Froma Harrop: Canada can be tough on immigration NATIONAL COLUMNS
3. Our View: Ben Bradlee's enduring legacy DISPATCH EDITORIALS
4. Voice of the people: Gerald and Alice Scallions LETTERS TO THE EDITOR (VOICE@CDISPATCH.COM)
5. Thomas Sowell: Predatory journalism NATIONAL COLUMNS