October 21, 2009 10:11:00 AM
I just wanted to remind readers that the MUW Writers'' Symposium is this Thursday (7:30 p.m.) and Friday (all day) on the MUW campus. I attended last year for the first time and was really knocked over by the entire event. I had incorrectly assumed that it was something just for very literary people and it is not.
It offers a personal glimpse of the authors'' creative processes and is often humorous, emotional, thought-provoking and just plain fun.
You will walk away feeling renewed and invigorated even if you don''t intend to read any of the authors'' books. The events are personal and give you an intimate look at the personalities and talents of the various writers. You mingle with these authors and the non-participating authors who attend and are able to ask questions, get autographs, purchase their books, or just say "Hi."
The symposium is a local gem that really shines in its intimate setting. If it were to take place in a major city it would be a huge event without the book club atmosphere that the campus setting allows...and it''s not a black tie affair.
A good web-site to check-out for specific dates/times for these and all other events in North Mississippi is www.do662.com
Bob Raymond, Columbus
1. Our View: Downtown shooting demands calm, cooperative solutions DISPATCH EDITORIALS
2. Patrick Buchanan: Will Russiagate backfire on the left? NATIONAL COLUMNS
3. Our View: Fighting the good fight DISPATCH EDITORIALS
4. Voice of the people: Cameron Triplett LETTERS TO THE EDITOR (VOICE@CDISPATCH.COM)
5. Editorial cartoons for 3-21-17 NATIONAL COLUMNS