June 20, 2014 11:06:30 AM
City needs to return to five-day workweek
The article on the city's public works crew productivity study revealing our crews at 45% vs. normal being 88% was thought provoking. Perhaps private contractors could do more for less of the taxpayers' money. Or, maybe the crews could do more work if they worked five days a week for eight hours a day rather than the four-day work week for 10 hours a day they have been doing for the past several years. It's pretty understandable that after eight hours of hot work a fellow just wants to ride in an air-conditioned truck for the last two hours. I believe the city needs to get back to a five-day work week for all employees like every other city. We are not making our best effort as a city if we are only open for business four days a week.
1. MSU, Ole Miss capture national spotlight DISPATCH EDITORIALS
2. Surrounded by cloudless sulphurs LOCAL COLUMNS
3. Voice of the people: Eddy Godfrey LETTERS TO THE EDITOR (VOICE@CDISPATCH.COM)
4. Editorial Cartoon 9-29-14 NATIONAL COLUMNS
5. Our View: Old Waverly's importance goes beyond golf DISPATCH EDITORIALS