June 20, 2014 11:06:30 AM
City needs to return to five-day workweek
The article on the city's public works crew productivity study revealing our crews at 45% vs. normal being 88% was thought provoking. Perhaps private contractors could do more for less of the taxpayers' money. Or, maybe the crews could do more work if they worked five days a week for eight hours a day rather than the four-day work week for 10 hours a day they have been doing for the past several years. It's pretty understandable that after eight hours of hot work a fellow just wants to ride in an air-conditioned truck for the last two hours. I believe the city needs to get back to a five-day work week for all employees like every other city. We are not making our best effort as a city if we are only open for business four days a week.
1. Our View: Gun violence in unexpected places DISPATCH EDITORIALS
2. Froma Harrop: Racing through nature NATIONAL COLUMNS
3. Our View: The value of play DISPATCH EDITORIALS
4. Possumhaw: Imagine a world of butterflies LOCAL COLUMNS
5. Dana Milbank: A general's farewell NATIONAL COLUMNS