August 2, 2014 8:35:46 PM
I am writing in regard to an article that appeared in The Commercial Dispatch on July 20, 2014, "Voters to Decide School Bond Issue." When I first read the article, I did not believe that the real estate taxes were going to have much of an increase. Upon reading it a second time, I realized that the increase would be approximately $120 per year for a $100,000 home and this increase, due to the bond issue, would be for a period of approximately 19 to 20 years.
I also understand that this bond would include personal property taxes on all tags bought each year. At least this would include non-property owners but it seems like a double slam against real estate owners.
The taxpayers of Lowndes County need to ask questions on this school bond issue and discover how much it will cost them before August 26. I know it is going to cost more than I want to pay.
1. Other Editors: It's time to change the state flag NATIONAL COLUMNS
2. Possumhaw: What you don't know will kill you LOCAL COLUMNS
3. Steve Chapman: Trump vs. the business community NATIONAL COLUMNS
4. Our View: The Class of 2018 DISPATCH EDITORIALS
5. Editorial Cartoon for 8-21-17 NATIONAL COLUMNS