September 14, 2017 10:57:46 AM
Concerning your article in Tuesday's paper about the recently published Mississippi Encyclopedia, I just wanted to point out a significant omission to the local contributors listing.
While the three MUW professors mentioned in the article are to be commended for their entries, Dr. Brandon Beck of Columbus also contributed two entries on the Civil War, one on the Battle of Jackson, Mississippi, and the other on the Siege of Jackson. Dr. Beck is an adjunct professor of history at EMCC, Mayhew campus. He is also the author of 12 books on the Civil War, including works on the battles of Holly Springs, Okolona and West Point, as well as Union Colonel Abel Streight's raid through Alabama. Dr. Beck should be recognized and applauded for his contributions to the Mississippi Encyclopedia.
Kimble L. Johnson
1. Ask Rufus: The City Halls of Columbus LOCAL COLUMNS
2. Partial to Home: Jim Lavender's circus dreams LOCAL COLUMNS
3. Roses and thorns 9/24/17 ROSES & THORNS
4. Patrick Buchanan: Trump -- American Gaullis NATIONAL COLUMNS
5. Steve Chapman: Trump's dangerous confusion on the Iranian deal NATIONAL COLUMNS