April 24, 2018 10:30:17 AM
Questions mention of race
Why do you feel this should be part of the article concerning the sale of Lee High?
"...built in the 1950s as Lee High School, where white students attended in the final years of segregation in Columbus.."
Whether the portion of the school built in the 1950s and segregated has nothing to do with antiquities law for the State.
Peter Imes answers: That note is relevant because Mississippi Department of Archives and History is looking at designating the former Lee High a state landmark largely because of the role the school played in segregation. MDAH is also looking at the same designation for the former Hunt High, which was the high school for black students.
1. Ask Rufus: The Fish Trap LOCAL COLUMNS
2. Roses and thorns: 12/9/18 ROSES & THORNS
3. Patrick J. Buchanan: Who lost the world Bush 41 left behind? NATIONAL COLUMNS
4. Jiben Roy: The natural process is the answer. Is it? NATIONAL COLUMNS
5. Possumhaw: Where did they all come from? LOCAL COLUMNS