July 5, 2018 10:27:22 AM
An open letter to Sen. Collins
U.S. Senator Susan Collins has stated that she will not support any Supreme Court nominee who opposes Roe v Wade because that would run counter to "established decisions, established law." Have you ever heard of the Dred Scott case?? That was "established decisions and law", but was correctly overturned later. I'm not a Constitutional lawyer nor professor, but I do have a copy of the Constitution and read it from time to time. As I see it, the duty of any judge, or justice, is to see that the laws are applied equally as written and not to re-interpret the laws to mean whatever the Sam Hill activist liberal justices want. By the way, there is no such thing as an activist conservative justice.
1. Ask Rufus: Ancient Medicine LOCAL COLUMNS
2. Our View: Roses and thorns DISPATCH EDITORIALS
3. Possumhaw: Here kitty, kitty LOCAL COLUMNS
4. Leonard Pitts Jr.: Three stories and a letter NATIONAL COLUMNS
5. Editorial cartoon: 1/20/19 NATIONAL COLUMNS