October 16, 2010 10:12:00 PM
October 17-23, 2010, is National Friends of Libraries week making it a good time to publicly thank the Friends of the Columbus-Lowndes Library who contribute so much of their time and expertise to significantly enhance our services. Our Friends have donated thousands of dollars over the years to cover the costs of children''s programming held in every branch in the county, adult book programs, special book collections, and equipment.
This year the Friends have made a major donation that makes it possible for the Columbus-Lowndes Public Library to join the Golden Triangle Regional Library Consortium. Beginning in January, this gift to the citizens of Lowndes County will bring easy access to the resources held in all member libraries: Mississippi State University; Mississippi University for Women; Starkville-Oktibbeha Public Library; Tombigbee Regional Library System; Starkville City School District; and East Mississippi Community College.
I know that the Columbus-Lowndes Public Library is a source of pride for our community. Our Friends group is a source of pride as well. I hope this week everyone will call the library to find out how they can join and support this outstanding group.
The writer is director of the Columbus-Lowndes Public Library.
1. Our View: '60 Minutes' and the domino effect DISPATCH EDITORIALS
2. Home Base: Christmas shopping to the moon and back LOCAL COLUMNS
3. Patrick Buchanan: Is Trump throwing down gauntlet to China? NATIONAL COLUMNS
4. Kathleen Parker: Trump's demagogic illogic strikes again NATIONAL COLUMNS
5. Our View: Public hearings on controversial issues are essential DISPATCH EDITORIALS