November 20, 2010 10:28:00 PM
The GSDP (Greater Starkville Development Partnership) is organizing the Starkville Christmas parade. They are charging $25/entry. As the GSDP is a tax supported organization (with some interesting pay rates) and most, if not all, parade participants are charitable groups, churches, government reps, the question is why is there is a charge? What does it cost to organize a parade? Especially with personnel who are already being paid....again, by tax monies. It can''t be a big project to organize a Christmas parade. And I would think a volunteer organization, service club, or some group would do it for free.
kj commented at 11/23/2010 12:43:00 PM:
Why are taxes supporting a religious event?
1. Lynn Spruill: Marketing the holidays LOCAL COLUMNS
2. Editorial cartoon for 11-27-15 NATIONAL COLUMNS
3. Kathleen Parker: We look in the mirror and see ... Donald Trump NATIONAL COLUMNS
4. Froma Harrop: What happened to Jeb Bush? Too much money NATIONAL COLUMNS
5. Charlie Mitchell: Cultivating an attitude of gratitude NATIONAL COLUMNS