November 20, 2010 10:28:00 PM
The GSDP (Greater Starkville Development Partnership) is organizing the Starkville Christmas parade. They are charging $25/entry. As the GSDP is a tax supported organization (with some interesting pay rates) and most, if not all, parade participants are charitable groups, churches, government reps, the question is why is there is a charge? What does it cost to organize a parade? Especially with personnel who are already being paid....again, by tax monies. It can''t be a big project to organize a Christmas parade. And I would think a volunteer organization, service club, or some group would do it for free.
kj commented at 11/23/2010 12:43:00 PM:
Why are taxes supporting a religious event?
1. Possumhaw: Mystery of the Mississippi kite LOCAL COLUMNS
2. Slimantics: Rage against the machine LOCAL COLUMNS
3. Patrick Buchanan: The decline of Christian America NATIONAL COLUMNS
4. Voice of the people: David Owen LETTERS TO THE EDITOR (VOICE@CDISPATCH.COM)
5. Voice of the people: Mary Hudson LETTERS TO THE EDITOR (VOICE@CDISPATCH.COM)