Residential fire claims life of elderly Starkville woman

February 8, 2013 10:01:43 AM

  -

 

A residential fire in Starkville Thursday left one person dead and sent another to the hospital.  

 

Starkville Fire Department Chief Rodger Mann said if it were not for the quick response of SFD firefighters, two lives could have easily been lost. The fire was called in at 12:54 p.m. and SFD first responders were on scene at 12:56 p.m. 

 

"It was because of that two-minute run time that we were able to get there, get in the house and get one of the residents out," Mann said.  

 

The identity of the male who was rescued from the 303 Everglade Street residence has yet to be released, but Mann said he was transported to Oktibbeha County Hospital Regional Medical Center after firefighters extracted him from the home. 

 

Oktibbeha County Services Coordinator said it appears 82-year-old Mary Elizabeth Foster died of smoke inhalation. Her body has been transported to Jackson for an autopsy to confirm the cause of death.  

 

Two of the rooms in the house received extensive fire damage, according to Mann, but the majority of the house suffered only heat and smoke damage. The house was not declared a total loss. 

 

Though nothing has been confirmed, Mann said smoking materials were found where he believes the fire originated.  

 

This is the second fatal fire in a month in Oktibbeha County. In January three bodies were recovered from a blaze on Bardwell Road that took several departments nearly 24 hours to completely extinguish.