SFD: Electrical short sparked Thursday hotel fire

March 2, 2013 10:05:44 PM

Carl Smith - csmith@cdispatch.com

 

Starkville Fire Department Training Officer Charles Yarbrough confirmed an electrical short in a lamp's wiring caused a single-unit hotel fire Thursday. 

 

Firefighters were dispatched to Americas Best Value Inn at approximately 1:25 p.m. Thursday after a hotel employee saw smoke coming from an unoccupied room. 

 

SFD arrived on the scene approximately three minutes later, he said, and contained the fire within two minutes. 

 

The room's contents were destroyed in the fire, but the unit's structure integrity remained solid. 

 

No injuries were reported.

Carl Smith covers Starkville and Oktibbeha County for The Dispatch. Follow him on Twitter @StarkDispatch