Board accepts resignation of high school principal

February 26, 2009



STARKVILLE -- It only took a few minutes to handle some big business at Tuesday night''s meeting of the Starkville School District Board of Education. 


The board accepted the June 30 resignation of Starkville High School Principal Kathi Wilson. The board was unanimous in its praise of her and the work she has done at the school. All board members were present for the meeting. 


"We have one of the best high schools in the state of Mississippi and the faculty and staff are among the best in the state," Wilson said. "I can say without reservation that the students are the best in the state." 


In her report to the board, Wilson said the school''s achievement index increased each of the four years she was at the school. The school has a Level 4 rating, but Wilson said it is actually 454 on a scale where 500 is Level 5 accreditation. 


She said part of the regular improvement was uniformity in school rules, so students had the same behavioral standards and expectations from each teacher in each class. Teacher duty obligations were standardized, so teachers allowed and did not allow similar things, allowing the students to know what is expected of them throughout the day. 


"We analyzed where we were right then and decided where we want to be," Wilson said. "Then we asked how to get there." 


Wilson said this systematic plan for success, coupled with a terrific faculty and staff, made possible the high school''s success. 


The board learned that the Starkville Board of Aldermen appointed Eddie Myles, current school board president, to a second five-year term on the school board. 


Following the brief business meeting, the board heard the last five reports from school district program- and school-level administrators. Marion Schiefer, Lynn Shea, Joan Butler, Wilson and Bill Lee gave reports from the technology department, Overstreet Elementary, Family-Centered Programs, the high school and athletics. 


Many more people came to the board meeting than were seats available for them. Unlike previous meetings when people have been allowed to crowd into the room, even standing behind the board table, two men watched the door to limit who entered. About as many people were left outside the board room in the hall as were in the room. The entire audience stayed for the two-hour meeting. 


Myles thanked those who came for what he was sure was a show of support for Wilson. 


The board will meet again at 6 p.m. March 3 at the Greensboro Center for their next regular business meeting.