Harris to head MUW Police

March 25, 2009



John Calvin Harris Sr. has been named chief of police of Mississippi University for Women''s Police Department. He will join MUW in April.  


The Meridian native has been chief of campus police for Meridian Community College since June 2005. He joined Meridian Community College in 1995 and worked his way up through the ranks. 


"I''m excited to be a part of a great institution such as MUW and look forward to working with the campus community," he said. 


Harris has more than 10 years of experience in law enforcement and private security and worked as a corporate security investigator/corporate security officer for four years at Federal Express'' airport hub facility in Indianapolis, Ind. Harris also worked as a patrolman with the Meridian Police Department.  


He has completed special training in various areas including workplace violence, bomb identification, terrorism, chemical threats, biochemicals, interviewing and interrogation, first aid and hazardous material, fire safety and drug abuse resistance education. 


MUW Assistant to the President Perry Sansing, who oversees the police and human resources departments, said, "The chief of police position is an extremely important position to our university, and I am excited to have him join our outstanding team. We look forward to working with him in maintaining a safe and secure campus for our students, faculty, staff and visitors." 


Sansing also thanked Lamar Peacock for ensuring a smooth transition as MUW''s interim chief of police. 


Peacock was released from Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle Monday after spending more than three weeks in the hospital recovering from wounds he sustained during a March 7 motorcycle wreck, according to hospital officials. 


The interim chief suffered eight broken ribs and a ruptured spleen when his 1999 Buell motorcycle ran off the road after a maroon SUV pulled out in front of him. 


Though Peacock for several days was listed in critical condition after arriving at the hospital, he has made nearly a full recovery and is resting at his house, according to an e-mail sent to university students by officer Sherry Honsinger.