Come on in! A restored Tennessee Williams Welcome Center rolls out the welcome mat

September 18, 2010 8:56:00 PM

Jan Swoope - jswoope@cdispatch.com

 

Like any noble, but aging, grand lady, the 135-year-old Tennessee Williams Welcome Center at 300 Main St. in Columbus had earned a bit of doting attention. While closed to the public from May until earlier this month, that is exactly what it got -- inside and out.  

 

A talented ensemble cast worked with the Columbus Cultural Heritage Foundation and Columbus Convention and Visitors Bureau to transform the landmark, including Pryor and Morrow Architects PA, and general contractor Conn Construction Co. Inc., both of Columbus. Nancy Carpenter, manager of the Heritage Foundation, praised their expertise. 

 

For the decor inside, Carpenter consulted with Dr. Gail Caskey Winkler, author of numerous books on historic interiors. For the exterior, the team consulted with Dr. Roger W. Moss Jr. of Philadelphia, Pa., an internationally-known expert in the field of preservation and historic paints and colors.  

 

Generous donors contributed furnishings typical of a period from about 1875 to 1913. Carpenter frugally sought out additional pieces from other Mississippi sources. Soon, docents in period attire will be on hand from 10 a.m. until noon and from 2-4 p.m. to give tours.  

 

The Welcome Center is open Monday through Saturday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m., and Sunday from noon until 5 p.m.  

 

Stop in for a visit, won''t you?

Jan Swoope is the Lifestyles Editor for The Commercial Dispatch.