April 20, 2011 9:36:00 AM
STARKVILLE -- Mississippi State junior football player Chad Bumphis'' premature diagnosis of his injured ankle turned out to be a sprain, a team spokesman confirmed Tuesday.
Bumphis'' X-ray came back negative, which means his ankle won''t require surgery. On Monday, the wide receiver announced via Twitter he had a broken ankle that would require surgery.
Bumphis'' sprain shouldn''t keep him from being a full-go for the start of fall camp Aug. 4.
Bumphis missed MSU''s victory against the University of Michigan in the Gator Bowl after breaking his collarbone catching a pass in the regular-season finale at the University of Mississippi.
Bumphis led the Bulldogs with 44 catches for 634 yards and five touchdowns last season. He also had 137 rushing yards on 19 carries.
1. EMCC, Mississippi Delta leave past behind them COLLEGE SPORTS
2. Mullen balances calling plays, running team COLLEGE SPORTS
3. No. 9 EMCC routs Mississippi Delta COLLEGE SPORTS
4. Shorter hopes Noxubee County can follow 2015 path HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
5. Columbus awaits region showdown vs. No. 3 Tupelo HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS