April 26, 2009
STARKVILLE -- Mississippi State center Jarvis Varnado is keeping everyone in suspense about his basketball future.
If Varnado has decided to leave Mississippi State for the National Basketball Association, he hasn''t made his intentions public.
Today is the deadline for college underclassmen to declare their eligibility for the NBA draft, but there hasn''t been a peep from Varnado about his plans.
The only decision Varnado seems to have made is not to talk.
Mississippi State coach Rick Stansbury and Gregg Ellis, of the MSU media relations department, won''t comment on the situation until Monday at the earliest no matter what decision is made. They have met several times over the past several weeks to discuss all information that has been gathered.
Stansbury and the Varnado family have asked for privacy leading up to today''s deadline.
Varnado, the two-time Southeastern Conference Defensive Player of the Year, blocked 170 shots last year in leading the Bulldogs to the SEC Tournament championship and berth into the NCAA Tournament. He averaged 12.9 points and 8.9 rebounds per game.
1. MSU's James feeling stronger with each outing COLLEGE SPORTS
2. Littell talks about coaching journey, Budke COLLEGE SPORTS
3. Tempo will be key for No. 1 MSU vs. No. 9 Oklahoma State COLLEGE SPORTS
4. Skinner wins at Magnolia Motor Speedway LOCAL SPORTS
5. Home runs power No. 11 Ole Miss past Tennessee COLLEGE SPORTS