April 26, 2009
STARKVILLE -- Mississippi State center Jarvis Varnado is keeping everyone in suspense about his basketball future.
If Varnado has decided to leave Mississippi State for the National Basketball Association, he hasn''t made his intentions public.
Today is the deadline for college underclassmen to declare their eligibility for the NBA draft, but there hasn''t been a peep from Varnado about his plans.
The only decision Varnado seems to have made is not to talk.
Mississippi State coach Rick Stansbury and Gregg Ellis, of the MSU media relations department, won''t comment on the situation until Monday at the earliest no matter what decision is made. They have met several times over the past several weeks to discuss all information that has been gathered.
Stansbury and the Varnado family have asked for privacy leading up to today''s deadline.
Varnado, the two-time Southeastern Conference Defensive Player of the Year, blocked 170 shots last year in leading the Bulldogs to the SEC Tournament championship and berth into the NCAA Tournament. He averaged 12.9 points and 8.9 rebounds per game.
1. Offensive line plays key role for Starkville Academy HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
2. No. 6 EMCC rolls past Holmes C.C. COLLEGE SPORTS
3. Friday's Mississippi Prep Football Scores HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
4. Injury to Market means Bryant will play bigger role COLLEGE SPORTS
5. Five Things to Watch for Troy-Mississippi State COLLEGE SPORTS