December 21, 2011 8:39:00 AM
OXFORD -- Despite an offer to remain at the University of Mississippi, associate head coach Gunter Brewer has decided to leave the school and to try to get a job as coach at another school.
"With the respect I have for Gunter and his love for Ole Miss, it is unfortunate he will not remain a part of this program," Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze. "We did our best to keep him here, but we understand and appreciate he needs to do what is best for his family. Gunter and I have a great relationship, and I hope he can return to our staff at some point in the future."
The son of former Rebel player and coach Billy Brewer, Gunter returned to Ole Miss in January as passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach. Prior to his return, he spent six years at Oklahoma State. He also worked as coach at the University of North Carolina, Marshall, and Wake Forest.
Brewer served in graduate assistant positions at Ole Miss from 1988-90 under his father.
"On behalf of the Brewer family, I would like to express my gratitude for the opportunity to coach at The University of Mississippi," Brewer said. "Coach Freeze and his staff have been nothing but professional in this transitional period. We have a great respect for each other, and it is unfortunate it did not work out to stay."
1. Heard brothers playing big roles for ICC COLLEGE SPORTS
2. Battle of reigning champs set when West Point faces Lafayette HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
3. Sophomores provide spark for New Hope vs. Aberdeen HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
4. No. 1 EMCC pulls away to beat ICC COLLEGE SPORTS
5. Simpler approach working well for Starkville HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS