July 20, 2013 10:41:44 PM
SOUTHAVEN -- The Columbus Nationals All-Star baseball team surrendered 10 unearned runs Saturday in an 11-7 loss to Valdosta (Ga.) in its opening game of the Dizzy Dean 12-year-old World Series.
The Columbus Nationals will have to beat the Springville Tigers at 9 a.m. today to stay alive in the double-elimination tournament. The winner of that game will play the loser of the Valdosta-Tallahassee Senators at 2 p.m. today.
Against Valdosta, Cameron Bartley allowed only one earned run in three innings. Ethan Bryan, Jedarius Gore, and Seth Harris also pitched for Columbus.
Harris had a hit and an RBI, Rye McGlothin had a hit, Bryan had a single, double, and RBI, Luke Barrett had a single, Jaelan Craddieth had a double, and Avery Benson had an RBI.
1. Insell family readies for father-son matchup in Oxford COLLEGE SPORTS
2. Ole Miss shut out at Arkansas COLLEGE SPORTS
3. Starkville Academy falls in state championship game HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
4. MSU Notebook: Holmes making habit of finding end zone COLLEGE SPORTS
5. Starkville defense swarms all over Southaven HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS