September 1, 2009 11:50:00 AM
STARKVILLE -- Mississippi State basketball team spokesman Gregg Ellis said Monday that All-Southeastern Conference forward Jarvis Varnado became ill during an individual workout and was taken to the hospital.
Varnado first went to the Oktibbeha County Hospital for evaluation. He then was sent to the Northeast Mississippi Medical Center for further tests as a precautionary measure.
The exact illness wasn''t revealed in a press release by MSU, but Ellis said Varnado was fine and the reason for the release was to prevent the start of any rumors Varnado might have the H1N1 virus, also known as swine flu.
MSU men''s basketball coach Rick Stansbury doesn''t believe Varnado will have any lingering problems with the illness.
"He''s fine," Stansbury said in a statement. "We expect him back at full speed very shortly. We''re just being very cautious."
1. Pickens Academy's Colvin will play softball at ICC HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
2. EMCC football team finishes No. 2 in nation COLLEGE SPORTS
3. EMCC wins Mississippi Bowl COLLEGE SPORTS
4. It's all in attitude for West Point HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
5. MSU will play Miami (Ohio) in St. Petersburg Bowl COLLEGE SPORTS