September 1, 2009 11:50:00 AM
STARKVILLE -- Mississippi State basketball team spokesman Gregg Ellis said Monday that All-Southeastern Conference forward Jarvis Varnado became ill during an individual workout and was taken to the hospital.
Varnado first went to the Oktibbeha County Hospital for evaluation. He then was sent to the Northeast Mississippi Medical Center for further tests as a precautionary measure.
The exact illness wasn''t revealed in a press release by MSU, but Ellis said Varnado was fine and the reason for the release was to prevent the start of any rumors Varnado might have the H1N1 virus, also known as swine flu.
MSU men''s basketball coach Rick Stansbury doesn''t believe Varnado will have any lingering problems with the illness.
"He''s fine," Stansbury said in a statement. "We expect him back at full speed very shortly. We''re just being very cautious."
1. Insell makes Rebels' NCAA case COLLEGE SPORTS
2. Signs of growth everywhere for MSU in record win COLLEGE SPORTS
3. Ole Miss begins spring football today COLLEGE SPORTS
4. Nineteen Bulldogs will work out at Pro Day COLLEGE SPORTS
5. MSU baseball complete another weekend sweep COLLEGE SPORTS