October 10, 2009 11:35:00 PM
LAKE CORMORANT -- Raymond Walters intercepted two passes in the fourth quarter to help the New Hope High School football team hold off Lake Cormorant 32-21 in a Mississippi High School Activities Association Class 5A, Region 1, District 2 game on Saturday.
Walters also scored on a 5-yard run in the fourth quarter and on a two-point run for New Hope (5-1, 2-0 district).
"It was an ugly win," New Hope coach Michael Bradley said. "We made a lot of mistakes. There were a lot of mistakes made by both teams. Sometimes you have to win ugly and we''ll take it. It was a win, I''m real proud our guys fought hard even though we didn''t play as well as we''re capable of."
The game got off to a good start for New Hope when Chris Douglas intercepted a deflected pass and returned it 20 yards for a touchdown on the first play of the game.
Also for New Hope, Terrance Dentry and Jeremy Wells ran for touchdowns and Tanner Ryals kicked a 38-yard field goal in the third quarter.
New Hope will travel again Friday when it plays at Saltillo.
1. MSU hopes Williams makes most of another opportunity COLLEGE SPORTS
2. Run in first set sparks Caledonia volleyball team HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
3. Hard work in summer has MSU's Weatherspoon ready to go COLLEGE SPORTS
4. No. 3 EMCC has two to go before postseason COLLEGE SPORTS
5. Noxubee County isn't looking past Caledonia HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS