October 10, 2009 11:35:00 PM
LAKE CORMORANT -- Raymond Walters intercepted two passes in the fourth quarter to help the New Hope High School football team hold off Lake Cormorant 32-21 in a Mississippi High School Activities Association Class 5A, Region 1, District 2 game on Saturday.
Walters also scored on a 5-yard run in the fourth quarter and on a two-point run for New Hope (5-1, 2-0 district).
"It was an ugly win," New Hope coach Michael Bradley said. "We made a lot of mistakes. There were a lot of mistakes made by both teams. Sometimes you have to win ugly and we''ll take it. It was a win, I''m real proud our guys fought hard even though we didn''t play as well as we''re capable of."
The game got off to a good start for New Hope when Chris Douglas intercepted a deflected pass and returned it 20 yards for a touchdown on the first play of the game.
Also for New Hope, Terrance Dentry and Jeremy Wells ran for touchdowns and Tanner Ryals kicked a 38-yard field goal in the third quarter.
New Hope will travel again Friday when it plays at Saltillo.
1. Southern Mississippi beats MSU in Pearl COLLEGE SPORTS
2. Mississippi players help MSU grow softball in state COLLEGE SPORTS
3. Tight ends could play bigger role for Mullen's Bulldogs COLLEGE SPORTS
4. Energized Bulldogs push on to Sweet 16 LOCAL COLUMNS
5. New Hope loses to Oxford in region opener HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS