October 10, 2009 11:35:00 PM
LAKE CORMORANT -- Raymond Walters intercepted two passes in the fourth quarter to help the New Hope High School football team hold off Lake Cormorant 32-21 in a Mississippi High School Activities Association Class 5A, Region 1, District 2 game on Saturday.
Walters also scored on a 5-yard run in the fourth quarter and on a two-point run for New Hope (5-1, 2-0 district).
"It was an ugly win," New Hope coach Michael Bradley said. "We made a lot of mistakes. There were a lot of mistakes made by both teams. Sometimes you have to win ugly and we''ll take it. It was a win, I''m real proud our guys fought hard even though we didn''t play as well as we''re capable of."
The game got off to a good start for New Hope when Chris Douglas intercepted a deflected pass and returned it 20 yards for a touchdown on the first play of the game.
Also for New Hope, Terrance Dentry and Jeremy Wells ran for touchdowns and Tanner Ryals kicked a 38-yard field goal in the third quarter.
New Hope will travel again Friday when it plays at Saltillo.
1. Starkville beats Callaway; Kemper County edges Noxubee County HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
2. No. 1 Alabama loses Harris in shutout of Kent State COLLEGE SPORTS
3. Kemper County takes it to Noxubee County in second half HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
4. Non-conference schedule has right mix for MSU women LOCAL COLUMNS
5. Winona Christian's ground game edges Oak Hill Academy's passing game HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS