January 28, 2010 9:47:00 AM
From Special Reports
COLUMBUS -- Will Goodwin scored two goals in the second half Wednesday to lift the Starkville Academy boys soccer team to a 4-1 victory against Heritage Academy.
The win helped the Volunteers (9-0) clinch the Class AAA North Half title.
Frankie Jones and Kris Simmons also scored for Starkville Academy, which will close the regular season against Lamar School, Washington, and East Rankin to close the regular season.
Graham McCain headed in a rebound off the crossbar for Heritage Academy in the final 10 minutes.
n MSMS 2, Forest 1 (B): At Columbus, Chad Hickman and Bo Weems scored goals Tuesday to help the Mississippi School for Math and Science boys soccer team beat Forest and advance in the MHSAA Class 1A-2A-3A state playoffs.
MSMS (6-1) will play Corinth at 1 p.m. Saturday in the second round.
n Philadelphia 2, MSMS 1 (G): At Philadelphia, the Lady Blue Waves had their season end in the opening round of the MHSAA Class 1A-2A-3A state playoffs.
Abbey Cathcart scored for MSMS, which finished 2-5.
1. Patriots' Berry returns from injury with vengeance HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
2. MSU men beat Louisville to reach semifinals of NIT COLLEGE SPORTS
3. MSU men will take on Louisville in quarterfinals of NIT COLLEGE SPORTS
4. Fitzgerald limited in MSU's spring opener COLLEGE SPORTS
5. Third-quarter surge makes MSU three times sweet COLLEGE SPORTS