February 12, 2010 10:00:00 AM
The Columbus High School baseball team First-Pitch Banquet has been rescheduled for 6:30 p.m. Tuesday in the school''s cafeteria.
Former Columbus High, Itawamba Community College, and Mississippi State football standout Tyson Lee will be the guest speaker.
Inclement weather that is expected this weekend has forced the cancellation of the alumni game, which was to be played at 11 a.m. Saturday.
The lunch delivery that was scheduled from 10:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. today at Columbus High has been postponed until Feb. 19.
The banquet will serve as a fundraiser for the baseball team, which will travel next month to Orlando to participate in a tournament at Disney''s Wide World of Sports. The tournament will be March 13-19.
The banquet will feature a silent auction of sports memorabilia, which will include Derek Jeter, Cal Ripken Jr., Ryne Sandberg, Colby Rasmus, Hines Ward, Mike Mussina, Dale Murphy, John Smoltz, Tom Glavine items and more.
Tickets are $10, which includes choice of smoked chicken or grilled pork chops with baked beans, potato salad, and dessert.
Columbus High will open the 2010 season with a seven-team jamboree at 9:30 a.m. Feb. 20. Caledonia, Hamilton, Heritage Academy, New Albany, New Hope, and West Point also will compete in the jamboree, which will feature four-inning games.
The final game of the jamboree will begin at 6:30 p.m.
Adam Minichino is the Sports Editor for The Commercial Dispatch.
1. Minichino column: Harrison proud of Vivians, Bulldogs COLLEGE SPORTS
2. New Hope edges Ripley in Class 4A playoff thriller HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
3. MSU men stun Texas A&M in College Station COLLEGE SPORTS
4. Heritage Academy's Gray signs with United States Military Academy HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
5. West Lowndes begins quest for Jackson by routing Piney Woods HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS