February 27, 2010 10:56:00 PM
MERIDIAN -- The New Hope High School fast-pitch softball team started its season in style Saturday.
Empress Shirley went 2-for-3 with four RBIs in her first varsity start in game one, and Lauren Holifield and Anna Holley had three RBIs in game two to lead New Hope past South Jones 18-8 and Yazoo County 16-0 at the Northeast Lauderdale Pre-Season Tournament.
Shirley had a single and a triple at designated player for New Hope (2-0). Holifield, who earned the victory in the five-inning game, was 1-for-2 with three walks. Holley (2-for-3), Haley Tutor (1-for-5), D.J. Ferguson (1-for-4), Kasey Stanfield (sacrifice fly), Rachel Rhoades (2-for-4, two RBIs), Anna McCrary (1-for-3, RBI), and Jessica Moore (2-for-4, double, four RBIs) also contributed to the hitting attack.
In game two, Ferguson earned the victory in the circle. Ashley Martin pitched in the fourth inning.
Holifield (1-for-2), Holley (2-for-2, triple), Tutor (2-for-3, triple, two RBIs), Ferguson (2-for-3, two triples, two RBIs), Stanfield (1-for-3, RBI), Shirley (1-for-2, double), Rhoades (2-for-2, double), and Ashley Boyd (1-for-1, RBI) led the hitting attack.
New Hope plays at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at Caledonia. The Lady Trojans play at 4 p.m. Thursday at Smithville and at the Tupelo High Tournament tis weekend.
1. MSU won't let Collins' departure affect preparations COLLEGE SPORTS
2. Columbus boys show potential in win against Marion (Ark.) HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
3. Johnson takes over to lead New Hope boys HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
4. Holman trying to impress 'habits' on new group HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
5. Starkville boys rebound after tough loss in OT HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS