February 27, 2010 10:56:00 PM
MERIDIAN -- The New Hope High School fast-pitch softball team started its season in style Saturday.
Empress Shirley went 2-for-3 with four RBIs in her first varsity start in game one, and Lauren Holifield and Anna Holley had three RBIs in game two to lead New Hope past South Jones 18-8 and Yazoo County 16-0 at the Northeast Lauderdale Pre-Season Tournament.
Shirley had a single and a triple at designated player for New Hope (2-0). Holifield, who earned the victory in the five-inning game, was 1-for-2 with three walks. Holley (2-for-3), Haley Tutor (1-for-5), D.J. Ferguson (1-for-4), Kasey Stanfield (sacrifice fly), Rachel Rhoades (2-for-4, two RBIs), Anna McCrary (1-for-3, RBI), and Jessica Moore (2-for-4, double, four RBIs) also contributed to the hitting attack.
In game two, Ferguson earned the victory in the circle. Ashley Martin pitched in the fourth inning.
Holifield (1-for-2), Holley (2-for-2, triple), Tutor (2-for-3, triple, two RBIs), Ferguson (2-for-3, two triples, two RBIs), Stanfield (1-for-3, RBI), Shirley (1-for-2, double), Rhoades (2-for-2, double), and Ashley Boyd (1-for-1, RBI) led the hitting attack.
New Hope plays at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at Caledonia. The Lady Trojans play at 4 p.m. Thursday at Smithville and at the Tupelo High Tournament tis weekend.
1. MSU beats Ole Miss in Governor's Cup thriller COLLEGE SPORTS
2. New Hope softball opens playoff series with win over Pontotoc HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
3. Stacy staying in control for Caledonia HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
4. New Hope's Speed signs with Itawamba C.C. HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
5. Berry leads West Point to playoff series victory HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS