March 11, 2010 8:55:00 AM
STARKVILLE -- Jamie Mitchell will be the man charged with the task of transforming Starkville High School football.
Multiple sources close to SHS coaching search indicated Wednesday the Itawamba Agricultural High coach will succeed Bill Lee as Yellow Jackets coach.
Lee announced his retirement in November.
Starkville High incoming Athletic Director Stan Lee would neither confirm nor deny Mitchell had been named head coach when reached Wednesday.
"I know there are rumors all over the place, but I can''t comment on the position at this point," Miller said. "I''ve got a name and I''ve turned it in. I''m hoping it''s going to be approved by the school board on March 22nd at noon."
Starkville School District''s March 22 agenda has not been released yet.
Mitchell has spent four seasons at IAHS and has a 40-9 mark in that span. This season, he led IAHS to the Class 4A state semifinals before losing 31-6 to Lafayette County.
Starkville High is coming off back-to-back eight-loss seasons, though the Jackets made the 6A playoffs this season.
However, since the 2004-05 season, the Jackets have recorded seven or more wins just once.
1. New Hope boys shock Oxford for region title HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
2. MSU baseball gives Cannizaro first career victory COLLEGE SPORTS
3. Tupelo squads sweep Columbus for pair of region titles HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
4. No. 3 MSU women face huge test at Texas A&M COLLEGE SPORTS
5. Area basketball teams begin postseason play Monday HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS