March 11, 2010 8:55:00 AM
STARKVILLE -- Jamie Mitchell will be the man charged with the task of transforming Starkville High School football.
Multiple sources close to SHS coaching search indicated Wednesday the Itawamba Agricultural High coach will succeed Bill Lee as Yellow Jackets coach.
Lee announced his retirement in November.
Starkville High incoming Athletic Director Stan Lee would neither confirm nor deny Mitchell had been named head coach when reached Wednesday.
"I know there are rumors all over the place, but I can''t comment on the position at this point," Miller said. "I''ve got a name and I''ve turned it in. I''m hoping it''s going to be approved by the school board on March 22nd at noon."
Starkville School District''s March 22 agenda has not been released yet.
Mitchell has spent four seasons at IAHS and has a 40-9 mark in that span. This season, he led IAHS to the Class 4A state semifinals before losing 31-6 to Lafayette County.
Starkville High is coming off back-to-back eight-loss seasons, though the Jackets made the 6A playoffs this season.
However, since the 2004-05 season, the Jackets have recorded seven or more wins just once.
1. MSU beats Ole Miss in Governor's Cup thriller COLLEGE SPORTS
2. New Hope softball opens playoff series with win over Pontotoc HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
3. Stacy staying in control for Caledonia HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
4. New Hope's Speed signs with Itawamba C.C. HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
5. Berry leads West Point to playoff series victory HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS