May 5, 2010 11:00:00 AM
Noxubee County School District Superintendent Kevin Jones said Tuesday that the district''s school board accepted the resignation of former football coach M.C. Miller but didn''t approve the hiring of a new football coach at its Monday meeting.
Jones said the school board will meet two more times this month, with the next meeting scheduled for Monday. The hiring of Tyrone Shorter to replace Miller as Noxubee County High School football coach is expected to be on the agenda at one of those meetings.
Shorter was an assistant coach for 12 or 13 years to Miller, who left Noxubee County High to take a job as head football coach at Harrison Central. Miller later reconsidered that opportunity and was hired to become the football coach at Louisville High School. He replaces Brad Peterson, who is the new football coach at Btrandon.
Jones said he had been told the school board wants to act quickly to choose a replacement for Miller, who led the Tigers to the Class 4A state title games in 2007-08. Noxubee County won its first state championship in football in ''08.
Jones said the chairman of the school board sets the agenda, and that it likely would be Friday until it was determined if the approval of Shorter was on the agenda for the next meeting.
1. Stephens making changes COLLEGE SPORTS
2. Loss of Patterson one of several Shorter has had to fill HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
3. Jones brings new energy to Starkville football program HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
4. Luke has dream job at Ole Miss, but he is in tough spot COLLEGE SPORTS
5. Walters column: Prep Football Questions - Week 3 HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS