Article Comment 

No. 23 Kentucky pulls away from Ole Miss


By The Associated Press



LEXINGTON, Ky. -- The Kentucky men's basketball team has followed a four-game slide with four consecutive wins featuring some of its best play this season along with the poise that was missing during the slump. 


The No. 23 Wildcats had all of those aspects come together late to beat Mississippi for a victory coach John Calipari suggested his young team had to win. 


Kevin Knox had 22 points and Quade Green added 18, including eight during a 15-5 second-half run that helped Kentucky pull away from Ole Miss for a 96-78 victory Wednesday night. 


"It was a win we had to have and I told them after the game," said Calipari, adding that telling them before the game might have made them nervous. "I didn't want to tell them that, this was like the biggest game of the year for us. This was it." 


Shai Gilgeous-Alexander had 17 points, a career-high 10 assists and seven rebounds. Wenyen Gabriel added 15 points and PJ Washington 10 as the Wildcats (21-9, 10-7 Southeastern Conference) won their fourth consecutive game and home finale, the first without departing seniors under Calipari. Green had two 3-pointers and a layup during the run that provided an 82-69 lead with 6 minutes, 40 seconds remaining. 


The freshman guard ended up making 7 of 12 shots in 30 minutes, crediting his play to playing off guard as Calipari stressed. 


"Just being aggressive, really," Green said. "When I've got the ball, just be aggressive and make the right plays. Score when I have to score. Shoot when I have to shoot, pass when I have to pass." 


Kentucky shot 56 percent after halftime and 50 percent overall in a game that was chippy at times, resulting in five technical foul calls and the ejection of Ole Miss senior forward Marcanvis Hymon after three-and-a-half minutes. 


"We knew they were going to be aggressive and get a little out of hand," Gilgeous-Alexander said. "We just had to keep our composure and keep ahead." 


Terence Davis had 26 points and Breein Tyree and Bruce Stevens 13 each for the Rebels (12-18, 5-12), who lost for the ninth time in 11 games. The Rebels shot 41 percent. 


"They really turned up the pressure," Ole Miss interim coach Tony Madlock said. "They made some really good stops and we were not able to make some of the plays that we need to make when you're able to cut it to four and you're right in the middle of what you want to do. Just not able to make the plays late." 


Losing Hymon seemed to inspire the Rebels. They outscored the Wildcats 21-12 in a span of 8:06 to take a 25-24 lead. Ole Miss got within a basket several times after that but couldn't catch Kentucky, which strung together baskets and got the rebounds needed to stay ahead and gain some distance late. 


The game was delayed several times as officials reviewed video to sort out several confrontations, including one that resulted in Hymon's departure before the first media timeout. Hymon drew his second technical foul for dead ball contact with 16:36 remaining in the first half after a skirmish under Kentucky's basket in which Wildcats forward Nick Richards received a non-contact technical foul while Stevens was issued a personal foul. Hymon drew an earlier technical foul after Ole Miss' opening basket 1:13 in. 


Ole Miss' Justas Furmanavicius also was whistled for a technical foul in the first half. Gabriel was called for another in the second half. Gabriel thought the Rebels initially played physical to goad the Wildcats' buttons. 


"It's expected and you don't have nothing to lose when you're playing against us," he said. "They're going to play their hearts out, and if they're going to get a technical, so be it."



printer friendly version | back to top




AP Headlines





MSU Sports Blog


Rob Hardy on Books


High School Sports Blog


Want to blog on




Follow Us:

Follow Us on Facebook

Follow Us on Twitter

Follow Us via Email