July 9, 2010 9:26:00 AM
GRENADA ---- Josh Neal and Octavian Stallings combined on a three-hitter Thursday to pitch the Columbus Xplosion past the Mathiston All-Stars 14-2 in the Dizzy Dean 10-year old South State Tournament.
Neal allowed one hit and struck out five in two innings and Stallings gave up two hits and fanned four in two innings as Columbus won by the 10-run mercy rule in four innings.
Neal and Stallings were backed by a seven-hit attack, led by Jeremy Tate with an RBI triple and single. Also contributing were Cade Odom and Nathan Wilson with a double each, Neal with a single and two RBIs, and Leo Bell and Cody Bolin with a single each.
The Xplosion advances to play at 3 p.m. today against Louisville, which beat West Point on Thursday.
n Eupora 10, Columbus Nationals 7: At Winona, the Columbus Nationals came up short in their opening game in the Dizzy Dean 11-12-year old South State Tournament.
The Nationals were limited to six hits, led by Tyler Lucas with a two-run double, and Kendrae Conner and Parker Lane with an RBI single each.
Columbus was scheduled to play Union in a losers bracket game at 9 a.m. today and needed to win to play again at 2 p.m. today.
1. Stephens making changes COLLEGE SPORTS
2. Loss of Patterson one of several Shorter has had to fill HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
3. Jones brings new energy to Starkville football program HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
4. Walters column: Prep Football Questions - Week 3 HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
5. Luke has dream job at Ole Miss, but he is in tough spot COLLEGE SPORTS