August 27, 2010 11:17:00 PM
TUPELO -- Turnovers and big plays never are the right mixture.
The New Hope High School football team discovered that Friday night in a painful season-opening lesson.
Ashton Shumpert scored three touchdowns, including one on a 67-yard interception return, and Tupelo High capitalized on five New Hope turnovers in a 33-23 victory.
Tupelo also had pass plays of 61 and 80 yards for touchdowns to help it avenge a 28-17 loss to New Hope last season in Columbus.
Check Sunday''s edition of The Dispatch for more on this game, Noxubee County''s 28-7 victory against Columbus, East Webster''s 55-27 victory against West Oktibbeha, West Lowndes'' 20-12 victory against East Oktibbeha, Winston Academy''s 22-21 victory against Heritage Academy, Starkville''s 34-0 victory against Louisville, and South Lamar''s 27-20 victory against Lamar County. The Dispatch also will have a roundup of all the rest of Friday''s action, plus statistics from the game.
1. Insell family readies for father-son matchup in Oxford COLLEGE SPORTS
2. Ole Miss shut out at Arkansas COLLEGE SPORTS
3. Starkville Academy falls in state championship game HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
4. MSU Notebook: Holmes making habit of finding end zone COLLEGE SPORTS
5. Starkville defense swarms all over Southaven HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS