August 27, 2010 11:17:00 PM
TUPELO -- Turnovers and big plays never are the right mixture.
The New Hope High School football team discovered that Friday night in a painful season-opening lesson.
Ashton Shumpert scored three touchdowns, including one on a 67-yard interception return, and Tupelo High capitalized on five New Hope turnovers in a 33-23 victory.
Tupelo also had pass plays of 61 and 80 yards for touchdowns to help it avenge a 28-17 loss to New Hope last season in Columbus.
Check Sunday''s edition of The Dispatch for more on this game, Noxubee County''s 28-7 victory against Columbus, East Webster''s 55-27 victory against West Oktibbeha, West Lowndes'' 20-12 victory against East Oktibbeha, Winston Academy''s 22-21 victory against Heritage Academy, Starkville''s 34-0 victory against Louisville, and South Lamar''s 27-20 victory against Lamar County. The Dispatch also will have a roundup of all the rest of Friday''s action, plus statistics from the game.
1. MSU's Collins transitions from catcher to third base COLLEGE SPORTS
2. Columbus basketball teams sweep Tupelo HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
3. Oak Hill Academy boys beat Columbus Christian for district title HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
4. Tigers' Sunday best adds to special day LOCAL COLUMNS
5. Schaefer wants Bulldogs to maintain attacking mind-set COLLEGE SPORTS