October 13, 2010 11:04:00 AM
Starkville Academy''s Robert Gardner and Immanuel Christian''s Ray Campbell will be the coaches for the North team at 4:30 p.m. today in the Mississippi Association of Independent Schools All-Star game at Jackson Academy.
The game will feature the top senior All-Stars from schools from the North and South.
Starkville Academy''s Shelby Carpenter and Heritage Academy''s Stephanie Cruse will play for the North squad.
The MAIS also will hold its softball senior All-Star games at 2:30 p.m. today at Mississippi College in Clinton. Starkville Academy''s Bailey Wofford and Central Academy''s Kendall Taylor will represent the area at the doubleheader.
Gardner, who recently completed his first season as head coach at Starkville Academy, will be the head coach, while Campbell will be the assistant coach.
"I wasn''t expecting it," Gardner said. "You put in the time and preparation in practice, and that''s never really your goal (to coach an All-Star game). I am certainly honored, but I wasn''t expecting it."
1. Ole Miss will be ready for Memphis COLLEGE SPORTS
2. Hill, Gholar fuel Falcons' flight HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS
3. Stricklin expected to take Florida AD job today COLLEGE SPORTS
4. Alabama's running game continues to roll COLLEGE SPORTS
5. Heritage Academy excited about big win HIGH SCHOOL SPORTS