October 30, 2010 11:16:00 AM
Landon Ellis rushed for three scores and returned an interception for a touchdown, and Tyler Jones rushed for two more touchdowns and intercepted two passes Friday night to lead the Victory Christian football team to a 64-26 win against Tabernacle in the first round of the Christian Football Association playoffs in Columbus.
With the victory, the two-time defending CFA champion Eagles (8-0) secured a spot in next week''s CFA title game against Tuscaloosa Christian in Cottondale, Ala. The win also was Victory Christian''s 30th in a row in the past three seasons.
In the local action, Heritage Academy closed its season on a two-game winning streak thanks to a 14-0 victory against Clarksdale Lee Academy. Noxubee County wrapped up a perfect Class 4A, Region 4 slate with a victory against Caledonia, and East Webster remained perfect on the season with a big win against West Lowndes in Class 2A, Region 2 play.
The Columbus Falcons lost to the Olive Branch Conquistadors and were eliminated from the Class 6A, Region 1 playoff race, while defending Class 6A champion South Panola rolled past Starkville.
For more coverage on all of those games and roundups from West Alabama, Lowndes County, and the rest of the local teams from the state of Mississippi, see Sunday''s edition of The Dispatch.
1. MSU's willingness to share ball key to undefeated start COLLEGE SPORTS
2. MSU beats Vanderbilt to snap losing streak COLLEGE SPORTS
3. Davis, Aggies beat Rebels thanks to good bounce COLLEGE SPORTS
4. Schaefer, Bulldogs use hard to work to reach elite status COLLEGE SPORTS
5. Florida picked No. 1 in SEC preseason softball poll COLLEGE SPORTS