Article Comment 

MSU/Starkville blog: Stansbury refuses comment on Bailey-Sidney situation; Beckham transfers

 

David Miller

 

STARKVILLE -- In the wake of a disastrous 14-day road swing, Mississippi State''s men''s basketball team is looking to start anew.  

 

The Bulldogs, who open Southeastern Conference play Saturday against Alabama, lost four of five games during stops in the Bahamas, Hawaii and Las Vegas.  

 

They saw sophomore forward Renardo Sidney suspended a game for a practice-related incident in Hawaii, only to suspend him indefinitely after fighting with center Elgin Bailey in the stands between tournament games at the Diamond Head Classic. 

 

When the dust settled Monday, the team announced Bailey intended to transfer and Sidney was officially re-instated.  

 

Wednesday, the team confirmed backup point guard Twany Beckham would transfer, effective immediately.  

 

The national attention of Sidney and Bailey''s fight, caught by ESPN cameras, has raised questions of why Bailey transferred and Sidney, who had already been suspended by the team, was reinstated.  

 

Stansbury was pressed about the perception of his program following the incident in Hawaii and Bailey, who was the team''s captain and emotional leader, opted to transfer. 

 

Stansbury, however, refused to comment further on the situation outside of what he stated in a school-issued release, which said Bailey asked to be released after being reinstated. 

 

"I''ve explained enough over the last two weeks," Stansbury said today. "We''re gonna move on. I don''t worry about things I can''t control, so hey." 

 

 

 

Beckham to transfer 

 

 

 

Twany Beckham''s time at Mississippi State has come to an end after head coach Rick Stansbury confirmed the sophomore point guard will transfer. 

 

Beckham is the second MSU player to transfer this season after the program announced Elgin Bailey''s transfer on Monday. 

 

Beckham redshirted last season after having surgery two remove bone spurs from both of his hips. He had battled hip pain since high school.  

 

Beckham opened this season as MSU''s starting point guard while Bost was academically ineligible and serving a nine-game NCAA-mandated suspension.  

 

He didn''t respond to a text message Wednesday. 

 

Beckham started the first five games but was inconsistent in that span, averaging 3.8 points and three assists before being replaced in the starting lineup by junior college transfer Brian Bryant, who has started the last nine games.  

 

Stansbury said Beckham''s decision was based on playing time, which would have decreased further with Bost being eligible to play for the first time this season on Saturday. 

 

"Twany''s a great kid, a good student," Stansbury said. "He''s probably gonna go back close to home there, which is probably the best thing for him. He''s been a good for us. 

 

"It''s very easy to look out there and see where your minutes come from. He''s looking to next year already, too, with his minutes so I can''t fault him with his decision." 

 

Beckham served as Bost''s primary backup when both were freshmen in 08-09, when the Bulldogs won the Southeastern Conference Tournament and qualified for the NCAA tournament.  

 

Bryant will serve as Bost''s backup, while senior Riley Benock will retain his starting two-guard spot. True freshman Jalen Steele will be Benock''s backup.  

 

 

 

 

 

printer friendly version | back to top

 

Reader Comments

back to top

 

 

Blogs

 

MSU Sports Blog

 

Rob Hardy on Books

 

High School Sports Blog

 

Want to blog on cdispatch.com?

 

 

 

Follow Us:

Follow Us on Facebook

Follow Us on Twitter

Follow Us via Instagram

Follow Us via Email