September 1, 2018 8:02:35 AM
FINAL: Mississippi State 63, Stephen F. Austin 6
- What a weird night for Keytaon Thompson. He ends up being responsible for seven touchdowns, tying a school and SEC record as he went with five passing and two rushing scores, but it still comes as he went 10-for-27, a completion percentage of 37 percent. I don't think Keytaon was doing a bunch of questionable things with the ball, he just wasn't perfectly on point accuracy-wise every single time.
- Montez Sweat and Jeffery Simmons combined for seven tackles for a loss. I see all is right in the world.
- I thought Keith Mixon showed some nice flashes in the punt return game today. Those hidden yards, if they continue at this pace, will eventually prove to be pivotal in a SEC game.
- I'm cautioned to make a big takeaway from this game at wide receiver, because of some of the weird nature of the passing attack that was discussed in the previous point about Keytaon. One thing for sure: MSU clearly has a lot of guys that are capable of doing what the offense demands. Now all that needs to be answered is who can do it against better defensive backs.
Follow Dispatch sports writer Brett Hudson on Twitter @Brett_Hudson
4. Dancing in the Park to celebrate 10th anniversary ENTERTAINMENT