August 20, 2012 7:32:26 PM
Two Oktibbeha County Sheriff's Office deputies were involved in fatal shooting early Monday evening, sources have told The Dispatch.
According to the source, deputies responded to a call at 5:57 p.m. on Cannon Road of a man standing in the middle of the road wielding a knife. When deputies arrived on the scene, the man began to attack one of the deputies, who suffered multiple cuts. Deputies tried to subdue the man with tasers and pepper-spray, but were unable to control the man, who continued his assault on the deputy. At that point, the second deputy shot and killed the suspect.
The deputy was taken to Oktibbeha County Hospital where he is being treated for non-life-threatening injuries.
OCSO officials declined to identify either officer or the suspect.
The Mississippi Bureau of Investigation has taken over the investigation, which is normal procedure for officer-involved shootings.
Sarah Fowler covered crime, education and community related events for The Dispatch.
1. Rotary speaker: It's high time Mississippi legalizes medical marijuana COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Ward 4 race swells to five candidates COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. County officials weigh 'what' and 'when' issues for sports complex COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Oktibbeha does not qualify for HOME program STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. 'No other fighter has done what he's done': City to dedicate street 'Henry Armstrong Way' COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY