Pistol stolen from CPD officer discovered near Ricky Ball


CPD chief Tony Carleton

CPD chief Tony Carleton



William Browning


The contents of this article have been modified since its original posting.


The Columbus police officers involved in the Oct. 16 shooting death of Ricky Ball were equipped with body cameras but the cameras were not activated prior to, or during, the fatal incident. 


The officers involved were Canyon Boykin, Johnny Branch and Yolanda Young, according to a media release from Raymond Hackler, public information officer with the Columbus Police Department. Boykin and Young are part of a four-officer task force the department created last spring to build rapport with residents in high-crime neighborhoods. 


Authorities have not said which of the officers fired the shots that killed Ball, but all three have been placed on leave pending the results of investigations into incident. 


The CPD release -- issued via email Wednesday -- states authorities recovered a 9mm handgun "within arm's reach" of Ball after he had been shot. That 9mm, authorities say, had been reported stolen in August from a Columbus police officer's residence. 


Ball, 26, was a passenger in a vehicle CPD attempted to pull over at approximately 10:08 p.m. on Oct. 16, near 22nd Street North and 15th Avenue North. Police Chief Tony Carleton has said the stop was initiated because of careless driving, no light above the license plate and lack of insurance.  


"When the suspect vehicle stopped, the passenger, Ricky Ball, jumped out of the car and attempted to flee," authorities state in the release. "Officers attempted to arrest Ball which resulted in gunfire." 


Authorities have not said what led to the gunfire. Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant has told The Dispatch that Ball was shot twice -- once in the upper body, once in the lower body. 


"Officers lost sight of Mr. Ball following the shooting," the release states. 


Authorities discovered Ball about 10:30 p.m. between two houses along 14th Avenue North, approximately a block and a half from the vehicle he had been riding in. 


"A handgun and suspected illegal narcotics were found beside where Mr. Ball had collapsed," the release states. 


Authorities say the Mississippi Bureau of Investigation is conducting forensics on both the weapon and suspected narcotics to determine if Ball ever possessed the items. 


Ball was transported to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle, where he was pronounced dead at 11:12 p.m. Friday. Merchant has said he died of blood loss. 


The release put out Wednesday evening stated only one camera recorded events "approximately 30 seconds after the shooting." 


"All of the videos recorded that night by CPD have been turned over to MBI investigators," the release states. 


Authorities say an "unauthorized civilian ride-along passenger" was in the vehicle with the CPD officers who initiated the traffic stop. That person's name is Alisha Stanford, according to CPD. Her presence has not been explained by authorities. 


Police Chief Tony Carleton did not respond to messages this morning. 


Authorities also identified the driver of the car Ball was riding in as Shannon Brewer. Authorities have not said if she was arrested or issued citations. 


The release states the firearm discovered near where Ball that night was a Taurus 9mm. It was one of seven firearms stolen from a CPD officer's Columbus home on Fourth Street North. Five of the weapons were stolen from the residence on Sept. 14. Two of the weapons -- including the 9mm found near Ball -- were stolen from the residence on Aug. 5.


William Browning was managing editor for The Dispatch until June 2016.



printer friendly version | back to top







Follow Us:

Follow Us on Facebook

Follow Us on Twitter

Follow Us via Email