May 16, 2018 10:49:15 AM
A former insurance agent from Columbus has been indicted on two counts of shooting into a dwelling.
A grand jury indicted Ken Ray Hargett, 57, following Hargett's arrest for a shooting in January. Hargett called police on the morning of Jan. 28 claiming someone was breaking into his home on Sweet Gum Lane. When officers responded, they found no sign that anyone had broken into the house. Hargett, however, had allegedly fired into two nearby houses, both of which were occupied at the time.
No one was injured in the shooting. Hargett was arrested for shooting into a dwelling and possession of cocaine, which authorities found in his house.
Hargett was not indicted on drug charges.
Hargett independently operated an insurance agency selling ALFA products on Highway 45 through May 2017. In October, he became a licensed agent for bail soliciting and bail enforcement, according to the Mississippi Insurance Department website.
1. Altercation during Bin 612 evacuation leads to criticism, planned changes STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Citizens, mayor plead to keep Fred's open COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Miller resigns as Ward 5 alderman to take job on coast STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Keenum: No plans to close T.K. Martin Center STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Lowndes voting locations moved COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY