August 23, 2018 11:03:53 AM
A Columbus woman faces a charge of felony child abuse in connection with an alleged abuse of a relative, according Columbus Police Chief Fred Shelton.
Shanita Mareka Williamson, 28, of 821 21st St. N., was arrested Aug. 16 after an investigation into the alleged incident.
Police released few details of the case in a press release issued Thursday morning, but said the child's injuries were serious enough that the victim had to taken to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle.
"This was not a random case," Shelton said. "The victim is related to Williamson. The child was treated at Baptist Hospital and has been released."
Shelton said Williamson also faces a charge of providing false information to police.
Williamson is being held in Lowndes County Adult Detention Center on bonds of $10,000 for the child abuse charge and $662 for the false information charge at the Lowndes County Adult Detention Center.
1. Man sentenced to 30 years for Camelot Apartments death STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. J5, Edwards accrue hefty IRS tax liens COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Two injured after being shot in vehicle on Hwy. 82 STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Former Starkville parks director pleads guilty to defrauding state STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Gray new Volunteer Columbus director COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY