September 18, 2018 10:45:11 AM
Lowndes County sheriff's deputies are investigating a weekend shooting at Applewood Apartments on Yorkville Road.
Bennie Will Harris Jr., 24, has been charged with aggravated assault for shooting at an occupied vehicle at the apartment complex Sunday. One of the victims who spoke to investigators, Edwin David Williams, 29, has been charged with possession of a weapon by a felon.
According to the LCSO incident report, deputies received a call about the shooting and found Williams and another man in a vehicle matching a description of one involved in the shooting. The deputy noticed an injury on Williams' hand. While the two tried to claim at first Williams had been injured while fixing a roof, they later said their vehicle had been shot and that Williams was on his way home to report it.
Deputies later found a revolver Williams left at the scene.
Other witnesses identified Harris as the shooter and he was arrested early the next morning.
Williams has twice been convicted of non-violent felonies -- in 2011 and 2016, respectively -- Lowndes County Circuit Court records indicate.
Harris' bond has been set at $25,000 and Williams' at $15,000. Both are still in custody at Lowndes County Adult Detention Center.
1. Bullets from private gun range crossing public road COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Mayor breaks tie to approve $9K trip to Atlanta COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. CAFB major dies on Caribbean cruise liner COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. 'Living their best lives': Gautreau boys, with Darth Vader toy in-hand, happily add to State's luck in Omaha STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. LCSD board upholds Caledonia teachers' transfers to New Hope COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY