October 8, 2018 10:04:20 AM
A pedestrian died after being hit by a car Sunday night after authorities said he was apparently walking in the highway.
Officers with Mississippi Highway Patrol responded to the accident at about 9:30 p.m. The 21-year-old driver of a 2008 Honda Accord reported colliding with a man walking on Highway 45 south of Jess Lyons Road.
Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant pronounced the victim dead at the scene and has asked the public to help identify him.
The victim is a black male who appears to be in his 60s, Merchant said. He is approximately 5-feet-2 and weighed about 130 pounds. Witnesses told Merchant they had seen him walking in the area, so Merchant believes the victim is local.
Merchant is asking anyone with information on the victim to call his office at 662-327-5197 or to call E-911 or the Lowndes County Sheriff's Office.
No charges have been filed against the driver, according to a MHP spokesperson.
1. Winning: Love of baseball drives success for MSU head coach Chris Lemonis STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
2. Monday profile: Morris finds calling to medicine, Mississippi COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. County continues seeking easements for Blackjack Road project STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. Makerspace movement continues to thrive in Starkville STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
5. Lowndes County begins summer work program COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY