November 13, 2018 10:51:44 AM
A 20-year-old man has died after he and several others were apparently playing a Russian roulette-style game over the weekend.
Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant confirmed Darren Tyler Hall died Sunday at University of Mississippi Medical Center in Jackson from a gunshot wound he sustained Saturday night at a neighbor's home at 1817 Phillips Hill Road in New Hope. Authorities responded to the scene at about 7:30 p.m.
According to Lowndes County Sheriff Mike Arledge, no one is facing charges for Hall's death, which has been ruled an accident.
He told The Dispatch Hall was playing a game that was either Russian roulette or similar with a group of several people about his age. Multiple witnesses told investigators the gunshot wound was self-inflicted.
"There was some horseplay with a gun and the gun went off," Arledge said. "... It's just a tragic accident."
1. Unlicensed workers injured when house collapses COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Emerson withdrawing from J.L. King Center STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. 100 Women Columbus raises nearly $13K COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Monday profile: Morris finds calling to medicine, Mississippi COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Police seek suspect who robbed man at knife-point outside Family Dollar COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY