November 19, 2018 10:09:46 AM
Authorities are still looking for a suspect in a Saturday hit-and-run that claimed the life of a pedestrian.
Dewilliam Zerrell Binion, 18, was killed after a vehicle hit him on Highway 373, north of Noblin Road, at about 8:14 p.m., according to a Mississippi Highway Patrol press release.
Sgt. Derrick Beckom, with MHP public affairs, said Binion's body was found in the ditch beside the northbound lane.
"We don't know if he was trying to cross the road or what happened," Beckom said. "No one has come forward with any information."
Lowndes County Coroner Greg Merchant said it appears Binion was walking toward Columbus Air Force Base and was struck from behind. He added Binion was a resident of the area where he was walking.
Binion was pronounced dead after he was taken to Baptist Memorial Hospital-Golden Triangle.
MHP has not identified the vehicle or suspect involved, but the press release indicated the vehicle has damage to the front right.
Authorities are asking anyone with information to call the Starkville MHP office at 662-323-5314.
1. Unlicensed workers injured when house collapses COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Emerson withdrawing from J.L. King Center STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. 100 Women Columbus raises nearly $13K COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Monday profile: Morris finds calling to medicine, Mississippi COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Police seek suspect who robbed man at knife-point outside Family Dollar COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY