November 20, 2018 10:41:28 AM
A Hamilton man has been arrested after he allegedly stole a car in Lowndes County last week.
Michael Cory Cox, 36, of 40145 McDuffie Cemetery Road, has been charged with carjacking, according to a Lowndes County Sheriff's Office press release.
The press release said a 64-year-old woman was putting air in her tires at a convenience store on Highway 45 North late Friday night when Cox approached her and asked her for a ride. The woman declined.
Cox then reportedly jumped into the driver's seat of her 2010 Buick Lacrosse while she was still filling the tires. When she tried to get him out of the car, he put the car in reverse, knocking her over, before fleeing.
The victim injured her right knee and elbow during the fall, though authorities did not indicate her injuries were serious enough to go to the hospital.
Within minutes, authorities had been notified to be on the lookout for the car. Cox was arrested when a Columbus police officer spotted the Buick on Highway 45 and made a traffic stop.
Cox is in custody at Lowndes County Sheriff's Office. His bond has not been set.
1. Unlicensed workers injured when house collapses COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Emerson withdrawing from J.L. King Center STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
3. 100 Women Columbus raises nearly $13K COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Monday profile: Morris finds calling to medicine, Mississippi COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Police seek suspect who robbed man at knife-point outside Family Dollar COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY