February 13, 2019 11:02:32 AM
This article is made available to readers free of charge and outside of our paywall. While we believe the work of our reporters is worth paying for, making this article widely available is in the best interest of the public. To support our news-gathering efforts, please consider subscribing if you haven't already.
The contents of this article have been modified since its original posting.
Includes updated information on first appearance
A Dispatch editor has been arrested for exploitation of a child.
Ronald Scott Walters, 47, was arrested by Starkville Police Department Tuesday on an outstanding warrant from Horn Lake Police Department. Walters was the sports editor at The Dispatch at the time of his arrest.
Capt. Joseph Keene with HLPD said his office has two investigators in Starkville related to this case as of Tuesday.
Keene said the victim in the case and his parents reported a sexual assault on Nov. 12. The victim identified Walters, saying he'd met Walters there in Horn Lake.
The Dispatch does not identify victims in sex crimes, but Keene said the juvenile was a male under the age of 18.
Walters had worked as sports reporter at The Dispatch since August 2011 and had been promoted to sports editor earlier this month.
Walters is currently in custody at Oktibbeha County Jail. He will be transferred to Horn Lake, where he will have his initial court appearance later this week.
1. Local State Farm agent, CRA chair dies Tuesday COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Huck's employee, off-duty Lowndes deputy involved in alleged 'simple assault' downtown COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Update: Victim in officer-involved shooting identified COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Police release video of altercation between Huck's owner and off-duty deputy COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Convenience store falsely claims employees at rival store have COVID-19 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY