May 23, 2019 10:38:50 AM
SOUTHAVEN -- A northern Mississippi coroner is facing charges of selling fake funeral plans.
News outlets report that Grenada County Coroner Eddie "Skeeter" Robinson has been indicted in DeSoto County on two counts of insurance fraud and one count each of wire fraud, false pretense, embezzlement and conspiracy.
The 51-year-old Robinson did not immediately respond to messages left Wednesday at his business, Skeeter Robinson Funeral Home.
The indictment says that between 2011 and 2014, Robinson sold a preneed funeral plan to a couple in Southaven, collecting nearly $7,300 from them and using the money for his own purposes.
The indictment says Robinson falsely represented that he was state-licensed to sell preneed plans.
The Mississippi secretary of state's office sanctioned Robinson years ago for selling preneed plans without being registered to do so.
1. Deputy marshal resigns from Caledonia amid investigation COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Sheriff candidates focus on attacking drug crimes COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Starkville considering downtown parking meters STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY
4. City-owned lot in downtown listed for sale COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. CAFB reports $315M in economic impact in FY 2018 COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY