July 13, 2019 10:10:29 PM
Garrick Hodge has been named sports editor for The Commercial Dispatch.
His first day was Monday.
Hodge, 26, is a Zion, Illinois native with five years of professional journalism experience. Most recently, he was regional sports editor for the Columbia (Missouri) Daily Tribune where he also covered Missouri Tigers athletics.
Before that, Hodge served stints as sports editor for the Minot Daily News (North Dakota) and assistant sports editor/sports reporter for the Daily Republic in Mitchell, South Dakota.
He attended Western Illinois University.
"I'm extremely pleased to be joining The Commercial Dispatch," he said. "It's hard to ignore the history and rich tradition of this proud newspaper. Golden Triangle readers expect quality sports content and it's my full intention to deliver that daily to the sports section.
"If there's one thing I know, it's that the South is serious about its college and high school sports," he added. "Some could even call it a way of life. The sports department is going to take that fact very seriously, and will work tirelessly to provide content readers want to consume."
Managing Editor Zack Plair said Hodge has the talent, work ethic and experience to lead The Dispatch's sports section.
"He's young and energetic, but also brings the leadership skills that will bring out the best in all our sports reporters," Plair said. "He comes with experience working in a community with a Southeastern Conference university, and he's also spent plenty of time covering high school and youth level sports in smaller communities. We're excited to have Garrick on board."
1. Fiber internet coming to Lowndes County COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
2. Lowndes man killed during apparent struggle over weapon with son COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
3. Remembering Beverly Norris: The 'princess' of Columbus art COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
4. Alabama man arrested after high-speed chase from Lowndes to Pickens counties COLUMBUS & LOWNDES COUNTY
5. Aldermen to consider TIF for retail center on Highway 12 STARKVILLE & OKTIBBEHA COUNTY